A family favorite whipped topping, which had been in decline and was highly seasonal, finds success in new positioning, new communications, a new retail strategy and innovation
‘RW’ whipped cream revenues had been slowing down for years.
- Private label and Cool Whip whipped toppings eroded market share.
- The brand was positioned with a ‘made with real cream’ claim.
- The most popular application was on pumpkin pie, so the business had become highly seasonal, with most of the annual volume realized at Thanksgiving.
Starting with consumer insights, we dove into understanding the purchase and usage experience using qualitative and quantitative research.
- We found that the key reason for buying RW is that it’s fun for the family, driven by the aerosol packaging.
- Conversely, when thinking about dessert, most were not highly concerned about the wholesomeness of their topping.
- Additionally, while Thanksgiving pie was the top usage, consuming on ice cream came in second.
- Achieved substantial net sales, profit, and share growth
- Successfully turned around the history of declines.
‘RW’ whipped cream revenues had been slowing down for quite some time.
Private label and Cool Whip whipped toppings enjoyed increasing sales, eroding RW’s market share. The brand was positioned with a ‘made with real cream’ claim.
The most popular application was on pumpkin pie. As might be expected, the business had become highly seasonal, with most of the annual volume realized around the Thanksgiving holiday.
Customer research revealed the customer experience fun motivation and an untapped opportunity for use as an ice cream topping. Note: Ice cream is among the top desserts in both frequency and volume. Our consumer tended to be Moms who valued creating shared, memorable experiences for their families. Faces lit up.
We repositioned RW leveraging fun, driving new packaging, communication and merchandising. With a low support budget, impulse sales at retail were key. To facilitate retail display, I worked with R&D to develop a portable cooler to enable us to display RW with ice cream, pies, and other treats at retail. Retailers were given the cooler in exchange for a commitment to display for 10 months.
Impact on Client Business
The new positioning, new communications, new retail strategy and innovative product display achieved substantial net sales, profit, and share growth, successfully turning around the history of declines.