Operating Partners have a tough job!
- Many firms are still trying to figure out their Operating Partner strategy
- They don’t always have input into the deal parameters yet are called-upon to see that the Value Creation Plan fulfill the investment thesis
- They don’t always have a full seat at the table with the deal partners and may not reap the same type of rewards
- They are often in the position of working with management teams who are skeptical of their input and not always quick to accept help
- They are often spread thin across multiple portfolio companies with limited resources
These dynamics were on full display at two events I attended recently – The PEI Operating Partners Forum and ACG’s M&A East. While Operating Partners were in abundance at the first event, the second was dominated by deal professionals and board advisors. Surprisingly, much of the messaging was very similar.