A hands-on, marketing, strategy and revenue growth executive, Craig has 30+ years of executive leadership experience successfully building, growing, and scaling venture-backed B2B technology and SaaS companies with aggressive growth goals and complex solution selling challenges. He has led multiple high-performing functional groups including corporate strategy, marketing, sales, partnerships, and product strategy, and has a deep understanding of how to align functional teams to shared goals and objectives. Craig’s leadership experience extends across multiple sectors where he has launched numerous solutions that have resulted in exponential revenue and earnings growth. Craig is an expert at creating pragmatic go-to-market strategy and execution plans aligned to revenue mix goals (new customer acquisition, cross-sell/up-sell, customer expansion, and retention). To ensure success, he leverages his experience at defining ideal customer profiles, aligning positioning and messaging, mapping buyer's journeys with a content strategy to accelerate sales cycles and improve win ratios, and developing measurable customer acquisition programs directly targeting new customers or via channels and partnerships.
How Craig has Helped Businesses Grow
- As Global CMO and EVP of Corporate Strategy at Merrill, a $2B financial and legal services company, Craig led corporate strategy, go-to market planning and execution, global marketing, sales, product management, and strategic partnerships. Under his leadership, organic SaaS revenue in a key fast-paced business unit grew from true start-up to $190MM over 6 years and achieved the #1 global market share position. The business unit was sold to a CapVest for $1.3B.
- As Partner and CMO at HighJump Software, a supply chain execution software provider, Craig created the product strategy and go-to-market plan (direct + channels) that repositioned an unknown and undifferentiated software + services brand to become the fastest growing company in the supply chain execution industry. Organic revenue grew from $3M to $45M in five years and the company was sold to 3M Corporation for $90MM.
- As CMO at Paisley, Craig led the creation of innovative content-based direct response marketing strategies and programs that delivered 85% of all new sales opportunities. Business grew 35% YOY and was sold to Thomson Reuters for $140MM.
- At Chief Outsiders, Craig leads successful ongoing revenue growth engagements that include: a PE firm where Craig serves as the CRO and CMO strategy leader across 7 portfolio companies; the country’s leading loan servicing provider focused on achieving and scaling next-phase growth; a leading SaaS provider of time and expense solutions; and, a leading integrator of audio visual and collaboration solutions that has tripled its growth to $70MM in the last 3 years.
- As General Manager and a member of the Executive Leadership Team at CEC, one of the country’s largest, for-profit education providers, Craig built innovative, competency-based learning and skills-building SaaS solutions for working adults. He assembled an entrepreneurial team that secured strategic partnerships with large staffing agencies (Manpower) and job boards (CareerBuilder) to expand talent pools by finding, developing, assessing, and delivering job-ready candidates to employers for a fee.
- Craig was appointed to the Board of Directors of two Insight Partners portfolio companies, including Tongal (a crowdsource marketing platform) and Ecova (energy and sustainability management). Insight Partners is one of the country’s largest PE firms for technology investments.
- EVP and CMO Global Marketing and Corporate Strategy (corporate officer), Merrill
- General Manager and SVP (corporate officer), CEC
- CMO and CSO, Paisley
- CMO and SVP of Strategic Alliances (corporate officer), HighJump Software, A 3M Company
- Board of Directors, Ecova (an Insight Venture Partners portfolio company)
- Board of Directors, Tongal (an Insight Venture Partners portfolio company)
- University of Minnesota, Carlson School of Management
- Harvard Business School
- Growth Strategy
- Market Penetration & Growth
- Go-to-Market Strategy
- Revenue Planning
- Positioning & Messaging
- Sales and Marketing Integration