A proven marketing executive, Erika develops integrated marketing and growth strategies, improves margin through patient acquisition optimization, and cuts through marketplace noise with clear and specific value propositions. Experienced with venture capital and PE-backed organizations, she excels as high-growth or change executive to quickly scale ventures, develop compelling brands, and refresh legacy brands. With 10 years in a large public corporation in addition to 20 years in private-equity backed portfolio companies, Erika leads customer/patient experience programs and online reputation management initiatives and develops effective demand generation through technology and analytics. Erika co-authored and taught “Marketing and Hospitality Management” at University of California - Irvine, and served on the Faculty Advisory Board.
How Erika has Helped Businesses Grow
- Led Demand Management including marketing strategy through new patient acquisition to expand outpatient mental health services to patients at a private equity-backed high-growth, national mental health organization. Oversaw marketing, analytics, B2B and B2C strategy and communications, and national contact center. Directed and implemented the marketing tech stack to enable data-driven decision-making.
- Senior marketing executive for life science and medical device companies to launch new services into the healthcare space resulting in an exit to larger investors.
- Led CRM development, analytics, marketing of surgeons and medical teams, brand strategy, and PR for a national group of spine centers in multiple states. The company broke a new record for revenue growth and profitability during Erika’s tenure.
- Founded and built an award-winning, multi-door medical spa chain, recognized as the Top Medical Spa Chain in the U.S. serving as a management services organization for plastic surgeons. Organization had 2x the industry average EBITDA through successful retail and e-commerce sales.
- Led world-wide marketing communications for $500M revenue North American, European, and Asian markets, including market communications, research, competitive intelligence, public relations, Internet Design, and M&A for an international publicly-traded software company. Refreshed the brand, value proposition and sales tools. Marketing was voted “Most Valuable” portion of national sales conference.
Awards and Honors
- Business Owner of the Year Award, National Association of Women-Business Owners
- Women in Business Award, Triangle Business Journal
- Top 25 Women-Owned Businesses in the Triangle by Triangle Business Journal
- Woman Extraordinaire Award, Business Leader Magazine
- Keynote Speaker, International Spa Association, Sao Paolo, Brazil
- Speaker, for IECSC, ISPA, DSA, ACG, YPN, ABA, and numerous other organizations domestic and international.
- Featured in Entrepreneur Magazine(5 times), The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Triangle Business Journal, News & Observer, Fortune Magazine, Health Magazine, SpaFinder, and Health
- SVP Demand Management, MindPath Care Centers (sold to Community Psychiatry)
- Co-Founder, VP Operations, Ancillon Health
- VP, Strategy and Healthcare Partnerships, Back Pain Centers of America (sold to Ancillon Health)
- Senior Vice President of Marketing, Okyanos Center for Regenerative Medicine (sold to Black Beret Life Sciences)
- Senior Vice President, Marketing, Laser Spine Institute (sold to Cancer Treatment Centers of America)
- Founder and CEO, Iatria Spa and Health Centers
- Executive Director, Worldwide Communications, Bell and Howell (sold to Bowe)
- GM, Strategic Communications, Sprint Corporation
Professional Board Work
- Board of Directors, Healthcare Businesswomen’s Association, 2014-15
- Advisory Board, Social Entrepreneurship and Education Consortium, 2014-present
- Advisory Board, Communications, Association for the Advancement of Cell Therapy, 2013-2018
- Founding member of Women’s President’s Organization, 2005-2008
- Day Spa Association Advisory Board Member, Research and Industry Studies Chair 2006-08
- Advisory Board, University of California, Hospitality and Management Program 2005-2010
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, Small Business Chair 2005-07
- Board of Directors, Assistance League, 2003
- Chair and Spokesperson, National Speaking of Women’s Health Conference 2006-08
- Editorial Advisory Board, Day Spa Magazine, 2006-09
- Chair and Spokesperson, Savvy Women’s Conference, Raleigh Chamber, 2007
- Chair and Spokesperson, Chamber Executive Women’s Conferences, Raleigh Chamber, 2008-09
- MBA, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- B.A., Industrial Relations, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Executive Education Program at The Wharton School, Cornell University
- Master’s Certificate, Digital Marketing, University of San Francisco
"Competent, engaging, and amicable CMOs that know marketing. From strategy to personnel to execution - Chief Outsider resources have all the knowledge required to take marketing to the next level."
Ben Johnson, Tipofthespear
- Digital Marketing
- Growth Strategy
- Demand Generation
- Direct Marketing
- Brand Strategy/Refresh
- Market/Consumer Insight
- Go-to-Market Product Launch Strategy
- Positioning and Messaging