Mike is a curious marketing and sales leader with 30 years of C-Level experience, including 12 years with investor-backed companies, with two successful exits. Mike looks at the entire business and challenges the status quo to define and exploit a potent competitive advantage, leveraging product innovation, ownable positioning, persuasive messaging, and marketing/sales alignment to secure omnichannel penetration, with a relentless focus on margin.
How Mike has Helped Businesses Grow
- Launched the leading healthcare and beauty DTC e-commerce retailer and scaled from $0 to $140 million in three years, taking the company public. Defined consumer segments, assortment, price strategy, customer acquisition incentives, and promotion planning. Spiked consumer awareness and increased average order value by introducing an adjacency model with boutiques offering high-margin, non-traditional product categories that readily appealed to shoppers.
- Generated sales from $38M to $50 million with 19% EBITDA and a successful exit of a PE-sponsored professional B2B and B2C professional beauty and skincare business. Created distinct market positions for three brands. Developed a ‘flywheel model’ for a business-in-a-box beauty service that comprised 30% of revenue. Crafted and executed the strategy for the nascent Amazon business growing sales from $0 to $8M. Expanded take-home product lines from the professional salon market to QVC, HSN, Target, and Walmart.
- Reinvigorated the stagnant national skincare brand (Sales +68%, EBITDA 1% to 17%). Identified an under-appreciated consumer insight regarding user experience and commercialized the first aerosol sunscreen, generating $300 million in sales in 3 years. Also, implemented a new retail product supply model to properly allocate inventory thus reducing product returns, which increased brand profit by $50 million.
- Drove turnaround of $650 million Fortune Top 50 consumer healthcare division by returning to proven growth fundamentals of meaningful product innovation, compelling consumer communication, and strategic relationships with top retailers, which generated the first annual profit in 5+ years.
- Raised $6 million and drove sales from $0 to $2 million by targeting ‘silent sufferers’ of high blood pressure using a hybrid brand communication campaign, proving product viability to investors, which sparked further investment.
- VP, Marketing, Sunless, Inc.
- Principal-Consultant, JohnsRoad Brand Development
- VP, Marketing, Schering Plough Consumer
- VP, Marketing & Business Development, Resperate Hypertension Therapy
- VP, Merchandising, Drugstore.com & Beauty.com
- VP, Sales, Johnson & Johnson Consumer
- Valley Forge Flag (Household)
- Welly, Division of Unilever (First Aid)
- XTi Performance Lighting (Light Therapy – human, animal)
- The Sterling Group (Pre-acquisition research)
- Walmart (Nutritious snack)
- Merck Consumer (Skincare)
- Fallene (Dermatologic Skincare)
- Arkray (Diabetes Care)
- Psych Coverage (Patient Service)
- Home Again (Pet Care)
- B.S., Business & English, Spring Hill College
- Brand Strategy/Refresh
- Product Innovation
- Positioning & Messaging