Jim is a Chief Outsiders Partner and CMO based in Austin, Texas. He helps B2B and B2C companies increase revenues by developing new channel strategies, launching new products and expanding into new markets. Jim makes full use of branding, direct response, search and digital marketing and all types of advertising, sales promotion and PR to draw new customers and retain existing ones. He skillfully applies the disciplines learned at large national brands to revamp the customer experience, master the right mix of digital and traditional media, build brand differentiation and generate incremental sales and profits at smaller companies.
How Jim has Helped Businesses Grow
- Helped drive growth at more than 30 small-to-mid-sized businesses as one of Chief Outsiders’ most successful practitioners.
- Acquired one million new members each year and improved customer retention rate by 35% as CMO for Bally Total Fitness.
- Boosted RadioShack's sales from $3.5 to $5 billion in five years as CMO, leading the introduction of new products and strategic partnerships with Sprint, Verizon, MSN, HP, DirecTV and others.
- Trained in classic package goods marketing disciplines at two global NY-based agencies, Young & Rubicam and DMB&B.
- Managed the Chevron retail gasoline and c-store business nationwide, and drove sales gains for Pizza Hut, Westin Hotels, Ford & Lincoln Mercury of Canada, Chase, Stouffer’s, and El Torito restaurants.
- Produced the first television commercial ever filmed in outer space on the International Space Station coordinating with NASA and the Russian Space Agency.
Client Case Studies
- CMO, Endeavor Communications
- CMO, Bally Total Fitness Corporation
- CMO, RadioShack Corporation
- CMO, Pocket Communications
- CMO, Wildcard Network
- SVP, Group Account Director, Young & Rubicam, NY and San Francisco
- Endeavor Communications (Telecommunications)
- GetAlert.com (Artificial Intelligence/Security Cameras)
- Tarbell Management Group LLC (Consumer Products)
- Onyx Enterprises (Automotive Aftermarket)
- GVEC (Utilities/Appliances/Internet)
- Insperity (Human Resources)
- PG Professional Golf (Sporting Goods)
- DGSE (Luxury Goods & Jewelry)
- eSentire Inc. (Cyber Security)
- Vista College (Higher Education)
- Hasa Inc (Chemicals)
- Hair Cuttery (Retail/Hair Salons)
- Bury & Partners (Engineering/Consulting)
- NetworkIP (Telecommunications)
- Southside Market (Restaurants)
- The University of Texas at Austin (Higher Education)
- ValPak/Savings.com (Couponing/Grocery)
- Alen Corporation (Consumer Hard Goods)
- Skybuds (Consumer Electronics)
- Al’s Formal Wear (Retail/Clothing)
- The Fortress Company (Fencing/Building Products)
- uRide (Transportation/Ride Service)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters (Youth Mentoring Non-profit)
- Millennium Distribution (Grocery)
- Giammalva Racquet Club (Tennis & Fitness Club)
- Kids R Kids Learning Academies (Education & Childcare)
- Dallas County Community College District (Higher Education)
- MA, Advertising, University of Texas at Austin
- BJ, Journalism, University of Texas at Austin
“Because Marketing is a craft, it is a skill to put yourself into the consumer's minds and develop a strategy to put your company in the minds of your existing and potential customers. Chief Outsiders understands that and works with talented marketing people like Jim McDonald who love what they do and have a passion for strategy and marketing.”
Darin LaCoursier, President/CEO, Endeavor Communications
- Sales Growth
- Market/Consumer Insight
- Positioning & Messaging